Project Disclosures Project Name: Tejas Cerámicas Mayas S.A. (MACEROTI) Project Number: GU1046A-01 Expected Consideration Date by the Board: 04/16/2003 Date Posted: 01/16/2003 Investment Summary Company: Tejas Cerámicas Mayas S.A. (Maceroti) Sector: General Manufacturing Country: EN_COUNTRY_GT-Banco de Guatemala Scope Objective: 1. The project consists of building and operating a factory for manufacturing ceramic goods, mainly ceramic roofing tiles, but also other products, such as wall blocks and extruded paving blocks. The plant will have a production capacity of 90 metric tons of clay products per day. Most of the project output will be sold in regional markets of Central America, the Caribbean, eastern United States and southern Mexico.
2. The project is a joint venture between F.v. Mueller Roofing Tile, a German company; Dr. Elio Gerardi, a promoter of turnkey plants from Italy; and Mr. Andrés Ayau, promoter, ceramics producer and marketing and sales specialist.
3. The plant will be built on 10 hectares of land located in the town of La Fragua, department of Zacapa, in northeast Guatemala, about 140 kilometers from Guatemala City. The location was chosen because of its proximity to the clay deposits, the availability of labor, and access to Guatemala City, Honduras, El Salvador, and Puerto Barrios on the Atlantic.
4. Decentralization of economic activities: The plant will create jobs in the country’s small towns and in rural areas working the clay mines. Apart from the availability of labor, the site was chosen for its proximity to clay deposits and its nearness to Puerto Barrios, on the Atlantic, which will allow the company to export to the United States, Mexico and other Caribbean and Central American countries. There is also road access to Honduras and El Salvador from the plant site without having to pass through Guatemala City.
5. Regional expansion: Production will initially be aimed at Guatemala and Central America and later at the North American market, mainly the East Coast of the United States and southern Mexico. The location, capacity and quality of the Maceroti plant will, in fact, allow export of ceramic tiles and similar products to markets in the United States, Mexico and Caribbean nations. Maceroti is interested in and has plans to enter these markets. However, Maceroti’s emphasis in the early years of operations will be to sell in the markets of neighboring countries, such as Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
6. High-quality products at competitive prices: The price of substitute products is relatively higher, thereby creating a window of opportunity for the Maceroti products, given their high quality in terms of appearance, better insulation and durability.